Monday, February 8, 2010

Happenings

We started working in schools last week. It was a little crazy. I felt kind of at home during recess, though. The boys played a nice game of full-contact basketball that involved somewhere in the vicinity of thirty boys, all under the age of 11. There was one kid with an orange hat who all the other kids deemed "the one who will be destroyed if he has the ball." And he liked it... I guess there's something enjoyable about being tackled onto cement by a group of ten large boys. Anyway, for my old 8th grade crowd, this type of game is old news. I wonder if any of those kids will get a scar as cool as the one that I got from the large Korean guy during that game.

Last weekend we got to watch a traditional Mayan ceremony in Iximche, which is a Mayan ruin. It was really interesting to see all the symbolism and things that they still have. Plus we got to put stuff on a fire, which I always enjoy... In realidad it was a wonderful experience, and left me feeling peaceful and pensive, which I like a lot.

This week we have to do 30 minute presentations to a class during school about something health-related. I'm probably doing mine on hand-washing. It'll be interesting to see how much Spanish I can speak when I'm standing in front of a class of 25 kids...

Next week we're going on a trip for the whole week, starting Sunday, that's called Field Based Training. We're going to be working in schools with volunteers who are currently doing our project. It'll be the first time that we really get to see what we'll be doing for the next two years. Plus it's a field trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment